Do Not Access? Hell, I Will!
I got a new modem from Siti Infeon DNA-A201BE-I from BSNL, my ISP. I got an installation disc, an ethernet cable, a USB cable and a Quick Setup Guide in the box.
First I set it up using the Ethernet cable. Then put the Setup disc in the tray and run the Setup.exe file. The Autorun launcher did not work.
Running the Setup.exe a BSNL Broadband Setup Wizard started.
It checked some requirements like Operating System, Java Runtime, Flash etc. I had to install an older version of Flash to allow the installer to continue.
Then I selected Home install.
Now it proceeded to the next step, I selected Broadband, other option being Home Network.
My LAN card was configured by the installer. In my opinion this was the only useful work it did.
Then it asked me to connect my modem so that it could be detected and the registration completed with my UserID and Password.
But my modem was not detected. I tried with USB mode, tried discovering my modem otherwise, called up BSNL tech cell(wonder now if it exists), looked up over 150 different sites for a correct configuration of this modem. I found nothing.
I nicknamed it Do Not Access Modem(DNA).
Then I decided to log into Router config as in 192.168.1.1(for Ethernet) and x.x.x.2 for USB.
I first changed the ATM connection to PPPoE, Bridge mode, then routing etc filling out other details. Nothing worked. I tried this procedure for 31 times for 3 days.
Then today the miracle happened I did, well, the same thing, and it worked.
I again made the ATM protocol to PPPoE.
VPI/VCI – 0/35
Encapsulation – LLC
QoS Class – UBR
I deliberately did not fill out the IP, DNS, Gateway addresses and kept them at default 0.0.0.0 meaning BSNL servers will determine that.
Then put my username and password. Saved the Settings and rebooted the router.
Then I was on. I was connected through Ethernet and there was no need to connect to the Net using a Dialer. Excellent, this probably happened because I chose the ‘Always Connected’ Option in the ATM PVC config.
I am really happy today. Finally got it up and running.