Attacking with Reaver

Lan box
Lan box (Photo credit: degra™)
The last month went in a flash. I did not even get time to breathe properly. As for the information I missed sharing is that I passed the L1 certification exams and thus sealed my post in the company. As for the silly things I do - I am going to write about that now.

Last night I got a situation. My unlimited internet limit had exceeded. So I was left with a painstakingly slow connection, and oh boy it was such a pain. I decided to do something about it. Switching my wireless on I found that about 10 wireless routers were switched on nearby. I thought to myself, why not try checking the routers.

I got hold of this wonderful software called Reaver on Google Code.
I downloaded the source code and compiled it.

The program is so simple and destructive, it blew my mind away. reading the comments it is obvious that many users have successfully used it. So I thought why not give it a try?

I ran these on my own Ubuntu 12.04 system, updated to the latest definitions.

I first checked if my wireless Lan is switched off or not.

sudo rfkill list

It gave a beautiful output saying that Hardware was not blocked but software was blocked. So I ran this command.

sudo rfkill unblock all

and restarted my system. Then ran the same command - rfkill list
This time my Wireless Lan was shown as switched on - both Hardware as well as software was unblocked.

First I checked my Wireless Lan Configs by running iwconfig.
Then I started monitor support.
For this I needed airmon package - you can Google it. Without this you won't find the information needed to run reaver.

sudo airmon-ng start wlan0

mon0 was created as monitor for wlan0.

Now it was time to list the available routers to target - I ran the airodump.
sudo airodump-ng mon0

There was a long list of several routers along with their BSSIDs, ESSIDs, power, beacons, Encryption etc. I deliberately chose the one with WPA/WPA2 encryption standards.

Then I ran the following command -
sudo reaver -i mon0 -b <bssid> -vv

But here was the catch, everytime I ran the command, the prompt was invariably something like "Waiting for beacon" and "Switching to channel...".
I forced it to a particular channel to cut the time by the -c switch but even then the beacon was not found and the program was stuck in an endless Waiting loop.

After trying for a number of times, I realized that i must be missing something. Somewhere I read that may be the Reaver version 1.4 is kaput. So I downloaded the 1.3 version and tried everything again. But with no luck. Probably I am missing something trivial or fundamental; I don't know.

^The entire story is largely a product of my fertile imagination and should not be treated as an attempt to break the law of the land.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. i think is is a lode of just airodump with out the ng.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No spam please :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Day

My Little Wife

Fallen - Based on a true story (almost)